Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Enter the Hat Box Ghost...Freehand!

So, I have been working on doing a few exercises lately to sharpen my skills. A few years ago while I was working at the San Diego Comic Con I was having a conversation with Ash Wood (http://ashleywoodartist.com/) about how he stopped using pencil and goes straight to inking. It was something completely alien to me, I relied on my pencil far too much. I had a few failed attempts on my down time that day... miserable attempts and never went back to it. You clearly need to be comfortable with your subject and yourself when doing such a drawing as there can be no mistakes. This drawing I did tonight was done completely in pen, a fine point sharpie to be exact with out the aid of a pencil or a layout.



My subject for the evening is the Hat Box Ghost from Walt Disney's Haunted Mansion attraction. The Hat Box Ghost never actually made it's way into the ride as it was deemed too scary. I have always been a big fan of the character thus my drawing this evening. More Halloween goodness to come and more Haunted Mansion at that, because there's always room for one more...

1 comment:

  1. Your drawing is PERFECT!

    But what do you mean by saying that I, "never made my way into the ride"?

    I most certainly did -- briefly. But it was a little bumpy.

    ReplyDelete